Wednesday 4 February 2015

Highlights of 'Nywele Zangu'

By Carol Anande


Mwanzoni Chuo Kikuu 2
Soma vielelezo vya picha kama hadithi tofauti
-Mwishoni Chuo Kikuu 1 
I grew up hearing 'akili nywele' from my people. My mother on the other hand never really complimented my hairstyles but I now see, she was tolerant than most in my region as she taught me to be proud of my brains. Ahsante Mama

This one is to all my Soul Sisters...


Mwanzoni Nilivyoanza Kazi 3





A woman, Amen

What’s the point of living?
If you can’t heal
Can’t reveal, the puffs and grime
Of past crimes

Am not sure when it was
Made so clear that
Feeling is insincere
That better is to adhere

To the daily machinations
Kazi zikaanza noga 4
Of finding your ugali
Sheltering your family

Guess when femininity was defiled
Here the women, bearers
First bled
But oh don’t forget the unsaid

Also we raped our men
Tangu utotoni mvulana jikoni
Kumepwaya
Na alivyo pelekwa na baba
Kijiweni pa pombe 
Ulimwengu tulimkwaza

Na huyu mtoto mvulana
Wamwambia ajikaze kiume
Chakula kila siku atakikuta
Sio kwamba bustani anaikung’uta
Wale jembe dada yake kaliruka
Mahaba nayo yakajikongoja 5
Hapana kwakwe manati tu hujua kuvuta
Kucheza pamoja na kuruka

You urge this little man
To deny his full self, guilt he’ll feel
When he sees his sister
Sleeping later than he
And waking earlier than he

Yet his father he passes laughing
Gailey with his friends after his rounds at work
While moma is tired stinking of ‘moshi’
Making dinner

Na Tusker Project Fame'09 sikuambua
hata Millioni Moja 6
She is independent Awomen
He is kind Amen
She is nurturing Awomen
He is considerate Amen
She is free Awomen
He is free Amen
Ila Mungu alinibeba, wanipendao walinikosha 7







Na utundu kisanii ukanipooza 8


Hatimaye wazungu niliwachosha 9
Vitunguu kichwani sio hoja 10


Ofisini kwangu nyumbani mtanioza 11


Kwa Bwana wa Jah Rasta 12-Alaa
...that's the beginning of my dreadlocks which I have now 





No comments:

Post a Comment