Saturday 25 April 2015

Vya Pilipili kwa Alex Njoroge, OY na Jagwa

By Sanaa & Culture


Joy Frempong-OY brought by the Swiss
Embassy performing at Nafasi Artspace
Nafasi has become a joint of mine, I take percussion lessons there (with Twaba Mohammed, Kauzeni Lyamba) I work on my songs with Norman Bikaka (when I finally catch him…). I get a high five from Jan Van Esch; Thobias Minzi will give me that seeming too close a hug and I will smile with easy candor when Gadi Ramadhan greets me. While a respectful and times all out jokes included chatter will ensue when I see Paul Nduguru.

I vowed though this year, that I wouldn't publish stories mostly from this joint. As I feel for reasons above its like writing on family, so you can just warn me when I’m failing my vow..

Mwendo wa Bajaji ya Alex Njoroge
It was my bump with the likes of Alex as well the fascinating mini concert that happened on the 24th of April’15 at this venue Nafasi Artspace. That quickly inspired me to pen this. 

Nafasi Artspace being a hub of artist studios (mostly fine artists) with a quaint yet modern outdoor stage in Mikocheni Dar es Salaam. Frequently invites fine artists from abroad to come share their work and knowledge with fellow artists at the space; this month it was Alex Njoroge.

Ashimba on the 24th April at
Nafasi Artspace concert
A native of Kenya, my first bump with him, was when he was giving a presentation on his works to fellow artists at the hub. Here as well the public was invited, through his laptop and a projector he presented his works in stills. I felt a little sold short as I would have loved to see in person some of those works.

The man didn't study fine art rather a degree in B-COM, yet it’s obvious he has nurtured his talent as two weeks later since this presentation. He produced artworks showcasing real talent which he presented in an 'open studio' exhibition this night..

On days previous I had witnessed him in one of the container studios at Nafasi. Working on two of the artworks he exhbited on this night, 'mwendo wa bajaj & mtaa kwa mtaa' finally getting to see all of the 6 or so that he procured in all of 2 weeks. It's apparent the man was destined for this form of art and I hope he continues to grown and mature in his craft.. 


Alex Njoroge pembeni ya Sanaa yake picha
ya mwisho 'Mtaa kwa mtaa'
“It’s the first time I’m experimenting with charcoal and acrylic…” Alex Njoroge when I caught him, working on ‘Mtaa kwa mtaa’.
.
His works on this mini exhibition were light in theme which explored anecdotes of his time here. Yet his portrayal of abstract subjects lain with colors in acrylic spun with a knife and that haunting charcoal bordering; showcase good hints of an ethereal timelessness. 

Isaac Peter (kushoto) na mwenzake wa
T-AAfrica ndani ya 'Pilipili kichaa something ;-)
Usiku huu pia tulipata fursa ya kutazama wasanii wa jukwani. Kama kaka Ashimba aliye fungua dimba na guitar lake peke yake, akitupeleka mahali shwari pa roho. Mchezaji Isaac Peter na mwenzake wa T-Africa wakisindikizwa na ngoma toka kwa Chief Twaba, ndani ya jina ‘Pilipili kichaa….’ (nimesahau vibwagizo vingine vya hili jina). Walituburudisha vilivyo na ngoma yenye kuhusisha vijiti vya moto.

Baadaye tulimwona dada Joy Frempong na mwenzake Lleluja-Ha wanaojulikana kwa jina OY. Muziki wa huyu dada aliyekulia Ulaya haswa Switzerland na Norway mwenye asili ya Swiss na Ghana, ni matata. Kwani ukiusikia mara ya kwanza, waweza fikiri umekurupuka kutoka kitandani bila kufuzu tofauti ya muziki wa ulimwenguni na ndotoni.

Alafu Jagwa waka wadatisha...
Yeye hucheza na vifaa vya kompyuta kwenye nyimbo zake mara nyingine utadhani ni mwanaume tena mzee anaongea. Huchanganya simulizi za hadithi kwa kughani kwenye nyimbo zake, tafadhali mtafute youtube ujue nnachosema. Kama kawaida pale Nafasi usiku huu alituacha hoi (alishakuja tena mwaka uliopita akitumbuiza pale Triniti Oysterbay-DSM na mule Zanzibar).
Punde wana wa ‘Jagwa Music’ walipanda jukwaani na vingine vyote vikasahaulika, kwani watu walipagawa na kujikuta wanakaribisha wikendi kwa vifijo na dansi za mbwembwe.
       

Wapiga vyombo wa Jagwa music usiku wa
24 Aprili '15 pale Nafasi Artspace

Mchakarikaji ya Alex Njoroge
Lleluja-Ha-OY brought by the Swiss Embassy
performing at Nafasi Artspace in Dar es Salaam
Currently at Nafasi by Wachata Crew
highlighting Paul Nduguru's exhbition 'Peke'
Currently at Nafasi 'When education
 becomes buisiness'-by Vita Malulu

No comments:

Post a Comment